Unresolved Problem with Tix-install (Tclerror :Couldn/t load file tix[version].so )

Mike Clarkson support at internetdiscovery.com
Wed Jan 1 13:55:52 EST 2003

On 12 Dec 2002 09:33:58 -0800, mis6 at pitt.edu (Michele Simionato)
wrote:

>bachhx at mail.ru (Bach) wrote in message news:<34e4328e.0212120235.6efb02b4 at posting.google.com>...

Your .cshrc is wrong and may be leading you to pick up some
other libtix on the system (try a find / -name libtix\* to be sure).
At least the tcl part of the .cshrc should be
 setenv TIX_LIBRARY /usr/people/erict/bin/lib/tix8.1
 setenv TCL_LIBRARY /usr/people/erict/bin/lib/tcl8.3
 setenv TK_LIBRARY /usr/people/erict/bin/lib/tk8.3

and I suspect the PHYTHONPATH should be
.../lib/python2.2:.../libpython2.2/lib-tk:.../libpython2.2/lib-dynload
etc.

I don't know what the cause of this is - you never get this error
building Tix from sources (http://tix.souceforge.net/). It sounds
to me like the Tix and the Tk were linked against different X11
libraries, but I don't know why the version of Python would effect
this. Does the tixwish start Ok? Do the tixwish demos run Ok?

When you say "I installed  tcl8.3, tk8.3, tix8.1 and python2.2 "
do you mean that you built and installed from sources or from
binary rpms? Do you have other binary tcltk rpms installed (rpm -qa)?

RedHat had legacy patches in their build of Tix that were unnecessary
and have now been removed for tix 8.1.4.  They have been very helpfull
in fixing their builds of Tix, so if this problem persists after
fixing the setenv, could I ask you both to open a RedHat bugzilla
report so we can get this identified and resolved, especially if you
think that "It seems everybody trying to use Tix on RedHat gets in
this trouble."

Happy New Year,

Mike.