[OT] vi vs. vim

Andrew Bennetts andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org
Wed Jan 29 19:12:46 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 09:47:52AM -0700, Andrew Dalke wrote:
> Alex:
> >Convert your boss to vim!  It can be used as a strict superset of
> >vi.  As a vi fanatic myself, I see NO reason to keep using the
> >old, limited vi, when vim's SO good these days.  vim can easily
> >be configured to expand all tabs to spaces, btw.
>
> I know one person who has the source code to vi from about 15
> years ago.  When he goes on a new machine, he recompiles it.
>
> I pointed out that vim exists, is more powerful and more featureful.
>
> He replied that it changed one behaviour that he wants.  He would
> rather recompile (and tweak) the codebase he knows than to figure
> out a new one.
>
> What's different?  I don't remember.  I have vague recollections
> that his copy of vi doesn't have multiple undo, and an undo twice
> is the same as an undo/redo.  vim has multiple undo, so acts
> different in that one respect.
>
> I don't understand it either.

Someone told me something similar once.  I think it was that "uu" or "u." or
something like that in vi would undo, then redo, which is a convenient way
changing it.  In vim (without tweaking the compatibility options), you'd
have to do "u" then ^R.

Personally, I'd rather have multiple undo :)

-Andrew.