new years resolutions

andy andy at eastonwest.co.uk
Fri Jan 3 19:44:34 EST 2003

I've been following your little thread with interest/amusement...  thought I'd
put in my penny's worth (please excuse me if I'm repeating previous comments
I didn't see) :-)

I can't remember ever having seen HTML described as a /programming/ language.

There are obviously snippets of javascript, java, even perhaps python or perl
in some HTML pages...

Doesn't HTML stand for HyperText *Markup* Language?
		*Markup* as in what TeX and its cronies do?
		Language as in a formal /syntax/ - rules for writing in a manner a computer
			can 'understand'?

HTML is obviously a formal language, but would you classify, Tex, for
instance, as on a par with it?  Tex is not (I believe) HyperText based/aware,
but it does a similar job when it comes to text presentation...

I think that it may be worth evaluating whether or not one could implement an
/algorithm/ in pure HTML:

	* An algorithm is a method for solving a particular problem
	* If your 'problem' is 'present a hyprtext document', then your
		HTML source-code is a program

I think that generally speaking, programmers (the C, VB, Python etc. kind)
consider the *logic* part of their art to be the 'programming' bit.  I doubt
if many would consider the production of a bunch of print statements to be
'programming'...

Wheras the general public often consider any given task done with a computer
to be programming... I have often heard secretaries, kids, passersby talking
of how they had been 'programming' the computer to "write cd's" or "play
quake", where they meant they'd *installed it*...

The concept of programming is probably more a matter of perspective.