Where to find tcl/tk Tkinter component memory limits

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Sun Jan 26 15:53:05 EST 2003

That varies to some extent by platform and OS version. For example, on
Windows, Tk wraps (some/all of?) the host controls and it's their limits
that control. On Windows 9x/Me, the text control is limited to 64kb and on
NT/2000/XP, the limit is 1-2 mb (theoretically 4gb, but there's another OS
limit: the details of which I've forgotten).

I would expect the same to be true on other platforms where Tk wraps the
host GUI library in lieu of providing direct implementations.

Hitting comp.lang.tcl might get you more information.

HTH,

David LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA