Best SMTP/POP library?

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net
Wed Jan 22 11:53:47 EST 2003

Robert Oschler <Oschler at earthlink.net> wrote:
> "Gerhard Häring" <gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net> wrote in message
> news:slrnb2ten0.1gg.gerhard.haering at haering.opus-gmbh.net...

^^
Considering this reference "line", I agree you need a new MUA :-)

>> Robert Oschler <Oschler at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> > I want to write my own email client, what is the best SMTP/POP library
> for
>> > Python 2.2? URL's please.

^^
Yeah, considering this "quoting", you definitely need one ;-)

>> What's wrong with smtplib and poplib in the standard library?
>>

> Gerhard,
>
> Nothing, but there's so much stuff coming out for Python these days, I feel
> it's always a good idea to ask in case there's something new and exciting I
> might not know about.

For a (GUI) MUA blocking calls like the ones in smtplib and poplib tend to
annoy the user.  Twisted might come in really useful there.

OTOH maybe using smtplib/poplib in a separate thread and communicating via
Queue.Queue or whatever works well, too.

But if you can avoid threads, that's a Good Thing [tm].

Anyway, if you have some spare time (and people who want to develop their
own MUA definitely have), I'd recommend you check out Twisted [1].  It
certainly falls in the new and exciting category.

While you're at it, http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonms/ (Python Mail
System - a framework for creating MUAs in Python) could also poffer some
useful code.

One other thing: you'll most likely want a threading algorithm. I started
one once but AMK got got a stable one finished before me:

http://www.amk.ca/python/code/jwz.html

Gerhard

[1] http://www.twistedmatrix.com/
--