a new PEP?

Oren Tirosh oren-py-l at hishome.net
Sun Jan 5 04:22:12 EST 2003

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:34:37PM -0800, vm_usenet wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I have recently had the pleasure to develop a large-scal system with
> Python. Although the project went well, I did come across the fact
> that not only Python is not really multithreaded (which you all know,
> of course)- but it also does not support creation of multiple
> interpreters and running them in seperate threads - which might come
> in handy...
> Is there any way I can post this proposal to the PEP list?

This is not a limitation of the Python language but of the CPython
implementation of Python. I believe that the Jython implementation is
capable of instantiating multiple interpreters. Implementing this in
CPython will break C API compatibility and all third party extension
modules. Supporting multiple interpreters may be one of the goals of
the next major version of Python (aka Python 3000).

	Oren