Continuations

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Mon Jan 20 22:09:21 EST 2003

Gregor wrote:
> Thank you both! That little bit of clarification was exactly what I needed.
> Stackless Python may not use continuations anymore, but it's still nice to
> have my curiosity satisfied.

That's fine with me.

But please note: This update crap was my invention
since I thought to need it, because I had no other
idea how to get at that position in the program.
This is totally stackless related, and you will
most probably not find it in any other language
which supports continuations.
It also breaks the notion that continuations
are immutable. update() mutates one.

I've been bashed quite some times for doing this,
and I wished I had not done it.

Realizing that most of the Scheme people whom I
met also thought negative about implementing
continuations in any real language today was a
real surprise to me.
This, together with Guido's rejection, made me
abandon the whole (nice) concept, later.

continuing-continuationless-ly y'rs - chris