Explicit Frustration of the Self

Sean Ross frobozz_electric at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 4 21:51:43 EST 2003

Perhaps "passing" was the wrong term...
Let's see if I can clarify what I was trying to say before:

class Foo:
    def bar(self, arg):   # method signature
        self.data = arg

inst = Foo()
inst.bar(None)  # method useage

When I said "passing" before, what I meant was "including 'self' as a
parameter in the argument list for the method signature of 'bar()'"

Now, I did say "passing self as an argument to its instance methods"
I did not say, or at least I did not intend to say, "pass self as an
argument to methods __when calling them__". In particular, it's the "when
calling them" part that I did not mean to say.

That aside, I realize I was unclear, and I apologize for any confusion.

So, anyway, all I was getting at before was that I found the disparate
appearance of the method signature and the method useage to be ...odd.
It _seemed_ reasonable to me that their appearance should should be similar,
i.e.,

def self.bar(arg): ... # method signature

inst.bar(None)  # method useage

However, after having seen the nested class example used earlier, my
proposal(above) seemed a bit less reasonable.

And that's about it.
OK, then.
Sorry for the confusion,
Sean