How do I get to *all* of the groups of an re search?

maney at pobox.com maney at pobox.com
Sat Jan 11 21:18:44 EST 2003

Kyler Laird <Kyler at news.lairds.org> wrote:
> Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> writes:
>>Click on the right arrow multiple times.  Or, click up, then note all
>>the related subjects, click on "Match Objects."
>
> O.k., now *why*, as a naive beginning programmer, would I
> do that when a simple answer appears to be staring at me?

Well... if you're really a beginning programmer, as opposed to a
beginner at programming Python, probably because you haven't the
experience to expect that important semantics might not be explained in
the section on the syntax.  I really had to work on the previous
sentence, BTW, for I've seen that sort of separation and, yes, cursed
it for making me dig for it, for many years... but it seems to be the
price we pay for using packages that are neither so small nor so
inflexible as to be easily explained in a paragraph or two.  Most of
the abstractions we deal with only look simple from a distance, and
programming is often an in-your-face range activity - close enough to
see both details and devils.  <wink>