12 years of Python and only at v2.2

Bruce Hoult bruce at hoult.org
Wed Jan 1 02:19:07 EST 2003

In article <vtiquukeckhj0sfj3rs7epncerduhnc2js at 4ax.com>,
 Manuel M. Garcia <mgarcia at cole-switches.com> wrote:

> I think Linux, Python, GCC have relatively low version numbers
> considering their age and that none of them are "closed" to new
> features.  But it is true this only gives insight into the "marketing"
> of new versions.

Over in the Dylan camp, we've currently got d2c at version 2.3.9 and
looking to declare it as a new 2.4 "stable" sometime in the next year or
so (no doubt 2.3.10 will happen first, maybe 2.3.11).

That seems ok.

Then you realize that we've been hacking on it for nearly five years now
since the basic thing was released as free software by CMU, and as soon
as we got it to compile on Linux we called it "2.2" *AND* 2.2 today
looks so totally antiquated that I couldn't possibly use it for anything
more than bootstrapping the latest version.

SO, on average, we've incremented 2.3.n every six months or so.  Which
has seemed about right.  Every version has been a significant
improvement on the previous one.

-- Bruce