saving Tix ComboBox dropdowns

Mike Clarkson support at internetdiscovery.com
Wed Jan 1 13:13:55 EST 2003

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 06:02:42 GMT, gcash
<gcash at luncheonmeat.cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>I'm using the ComboBox from the 2.2.2 Tix module.  I'd like to make a
>subclass that's persistant and can save the contents of the dropdown list.
>
>I know that's the "listbox" subcomponent of the "slistbox" component,
>i.e. I can do a cb.slistbox.listbox.get(0, 'end') to get the current list.
>That's the easy part.
>
>What I can't figure out is what kind of event to capture that will tell me
>when this list is updated.

I'm not sure why  you are trying to do what you are trying to do,
 but I think you want the validatecmd command option
which is called before an entry is added to the listbox:

    Specifies a TCL command to be called when the -value of the
ComboBox is
    about to change. This command is called with one parameter -- the
new -value
    entered by the user. This command is to validate this new value by
returning a
    value it deems valid.

http://tix.sourceforge.net/dist/current/man/html/TixCmd/tixComboBox.htm

Happy New Year,