Broken debian python

Eru ripolles at LALALAaditel.org
Fri Jan 31 06:32:59 EST 2003

Egbert Bouwman <egbert.list at hccnet.nl> escribio:

> I have removed python, and installed python2.2, being 2.2.1-6
>
> I try to install wxpython:
>    apt-get install libwxgtk2.4-python
>
> That results in an error:
> [...]
>
> How do I make debian accept the fact that i have the right python ?

Could you ACTUALLY remove python2.1 from debian? A lot of programs use
it, and haven't updates its dependencies. When I tried `apt-get remove
python2.1` (having installed python2.2), debian said it had to remove
lots of programs (mainly KDE programs BTW).

In brief, i wouldn't remove python2.1 for "stability" reasons. Anyway,
you can change the soft link which decides which is de default python
version. Just try this:

$ ls -l `which python`
[...] /usr/bin/python -> /usr/bin/python2.1

Debian by default sticks to python2.1 as the default version. You can
change this:

$ ln -sf /usr/bin/python2.2 /usr/bin/python

This way, invoking `python` brings up python2.2 (instead of the default
already aging python2.1). I did this change myself and haven't experienced
any problems. Anyway, I didn't uninstalll python2.1 eventually (though
I doubt it's ever used). If you don't have space problems, I would recommend
doing something similar, until the dependencies have changed (or the versions
are recognized properly).

BTW, python2.3 is already installable as a debian package (if you use
sarge, the testing version). It has some very interesting features, why
don't you install that one? (just a suggestion)

--
Daniel Ripolles ( Eru )
a=[];print max([(l.count(j),j,a.append(j)) for j in l if not j in a])[1]