[ann] Minimal Python project

Paul Rubin phr-n2002b at NOSPAMnightsong.com
Thu Jan 16 01:22:00 EST 2003

Christian Tismer <tismer at tismer.com> writes:
> This leads to high-level descriptions of low-level
> fields of all structures.
> These field descriptors will be the objects which
> are modified from the Python code.
> Example:
> An integer field in a structure describing a Python
> frame, for instance f_lineno, is not a regular
> integer object, but is accessed via a descriptor
> which tells that this is a fixed sized integer field
> which does not overflow....
> This simple principle would even work without
> all of Psyco's sophistication, which makes me
> so confident that this project will have a great
> result, even when compiling statically.

Do you have some other examples that really get used often?  I'd think
f_lineno's don't get used that often.

Will you give some thought to going to a tagged representation of
object references, and maybe a more traditional GC?  That way you
avoid a lot of memory traffic, and also don't have to adjust reference
counts every time you touch anything.

I think these would give a big performance boost, and also would also
simplify the C API.  It might be possible to supply a compatibility
layer to make the old C API still useable.