Dos calls in Python

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz gradha at terra.es
Sun Jan 19 06:31:45 EST 2003

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 06:02:48AM -0500, Bill Walker wrote:
> > > Anyway to call dos interrupts from python? I would like to
> > > change to graphics screen mode and call the pixel plot routines
> > > in the BIOS to plot some graphs..
> >
> > If you are running under windows, using Pygame would be a way
> > to achieve what you want. Pixelplotting and using fullscreen
> > mode. (Pygame works by using directX under the hood).
>
> That's a good tip, but the notebook that I am using (ZEOS) runs
> dos only.

Then you can skip to SDL's competition and try
http://alleg.sourceforge.net/. Similar to SDL, it's main feature
is DOS support. Since it's a C library, you could wrap it around,
or create a smaller library for DOS ripping it's graphic routines
(note it's public domain license), if you work with djgpp/watcom. If
that's too complicated you might consider feeding your data to a
standalone allegro C program which plots your graphics.

I don't know what your notebook supports, but with Allegro you
at least have VGA and mode-x. It also has VESA support for SVGA
graphics.