Opinions, please: Repository module

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jan 7 09:00:49 EST 2003

Stephan Diehl wrote:

> andy wrote:
>
> > Thanks, cliff, I will take a look at pyro.
> >
> > As I said at the end of my original post:
> > "I just /bet/ someone is going to tell me now that there's already
> > something out there which does exactly this :-(
>
> You might want to try Standalone ZODB (that's the ZOPE object database). It
> just works like a networked dictonary (and can be used to share objects
> over a network)

Is that really the case?  I thought StandaloneZODB was simply a repackaging
of ZODB separate from the rest of Zope.  It can be accessed from only one
process at a time, I believe, so I don't think it just "works like a
networked dictionary" at all... in the way I would understand that sentence.

Without some kind of server running on top of the ZODB, and client software
which talks the protocol the server wants, you won't get very far.

Or am I misinterpreting something?

-Peter