RH8.0, gfax, python

Wouter van Marle wouterm at spammers-unite-here.com
Wed Jan 15 00:21:03 EST 2003

Hi Kelv,

> Thanks for the info. Squirrelfax looks promising, though I don't think
> it will do what I want, which is to communicate with a Hylafax server
> elsewhere on my network. I will watch for updates though. Good luck.

So far I do not plan to implement this - main reason is that I have a
laptop. Only a laptop. So no way to test it! Maybe later indeed.

> Is there any other alternative to Gfax that would do the same thing?
> i.e. pretend to be a printer, and when activated by lpr it would spawn a
> dialogue to ask for the phone number, etc before sending to the Hylafax
> server. Basically, WHFC but for Linux :)

I only know of PrimaFax, free for home use with only few restrictions in
Linux. Does not support Gnomecard or Evolution address books, with some
hacking I used to have it working nicely as printer. In Mandrake 9.0 it does
not work anymore, that is the program itself does not run properly. Has to
do with the UI I think.

Furthermore no programs like gfax, which I personally simply didn't like in
the 0.5 version (have problems running that version now). This is the reason
I started hacking myself!

Wouter.