IDLE Python GUI

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Sat Jan 25 12:56:22 EST 2003

"Norm" <norm at norm.com> wrote in message
news:3e32a1a6_4 at corp.newsgroups.com...
> I'm really just getting started in Python with the goal of improving my
> Linux networking administration.
>
> I'm learning / practicing with IDLE Python GUI.
>
> Q.  What does the real Python community use for creating Python programs?
>
> Thanks
> norm

You'll just need to try some. It is critical that the editor you use is
Python-aware, can highlight things like mixed tabs and spaces, which can
cause errors when trying to run your scripts; you should just use 4 spaces
per indent, but your editor should be able to bind the tab and shift-tab
keys to automatically indent and dedent correctly while editing. If you are
already familiar with using vi(m) or Emacs or any of the other editors
listed in the links below, then there is a lot to be said for not switching
editors and just getting a Python mode working with the editor you already
know. If you don't already know vi(m) and Emacs then I strongly urge you not
to try and come to grips with either of those editors while learning Python,
that would simply be cruel and unusual punishment. You'll have time to learn
to love or hate vi(m) or Emacs or neither after you've learned Python.

http://www.python.org/editors/

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PythonEditors

I think the important thing is to make sure you have an integrated shell as
part of your editor or Terminal/Console so that you can try things out. The
better Python shell wrappers have auto-completion and calltips, IDLE does
not support this. Personally, I use PyCrust, which is part of the wxPython
distribution.

http://www.wxpython.org/

There is also IPython

http://www-hep.colorado.edu/~fperez/ipython/

To see what I mean by auto-completion and call tips, look at the last two
images of the Shell (PyCrust) documentation here:

http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/shell.html

You may also want to look at a more focused list of resources for learning
Python from the PythonCard docs page:

http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/learning_python.html

ka
----