killing thread ?

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Fri Jan 24 14:53:42 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 01:35:41PM -0500, Tim Peters wrote:
> [Jp Calderone]
> > It is currently not possible to write a secure sandbox in
> > Python.  I'm not sure if you can call that a bug; it's certainly
> > unfortunate.
>
> Just curious:  does there exist a programming language in which it is
> possible do this?  If so, who guarantees it, and via what kind of validation
> process?

  Implementations tend to fall short, even if the language specifies that
such security is possible.  Java and Javascript claim it, and fall short.
You -could- make a Python implementation that claimed it, there's nothing
about the language that inherently prevents it that I know about.  Actually
there's been talk recently on python-dev on how to handle the secure parts
of Python, possibly doing a fork of the interpreter, or a separate dev tree
to try to make the supposedly secure features actually secure, etc.  What's
my point?  I'm not sure :)  I guess my answer is this: I don't know of any
language implementation that tries and succeeds at this goal.

  Jp

--
"Pascal is Pascal is Pascal is dog meat."
                -- M. Devine and P. Larson, Computer Science 340