escaping illegal characters in XML

Sandy Norton sandskyfly at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 11 19:36:32 EST 2003

Andrew Dalke wrote in message

> What kind of illegal characters?  'escape' will convert '&', '<' and
> '>' characters.  But if you need them that likely means you are
> writing the raw input text to XML.  Are you handling the character
> set correctly?  That is, are you converting the output text to UTF-8
> or specifing the XML character set correctly?

Correct. I was converting raw input text to xml, and I wasn't handling
the character set the right way. As I mentioned in another post in
this same thread, I actually realized this after reading Uche's
article ( http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/11/13/py-xml.html ) which was
very helpful. Correctly encoding the characters solved my problems...

Sandy