Best SMTP/POP library?

Robert Oschler Oschler at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 22 17:02:01 EST 2003

[comments in place]

"Gerhard Häring" <gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net> wrote in message
news:slrnb2tj3u.os.gerhard.haering at haering.opus-gmbh.net...

> ^^
> Considering this reference "line", I agree you need a new MUA :-)
>
> ^^
> Yeah, considering this "quoting", you definitely need one ;-)

Have some sympathy, I'm still stuck with OE!  That, and the desire to code
my own auto-responder, is why I'm going to roll my own with Python.

> For a (GUI) MUA blocking calls like the ones in smtplib and poplib tend to
> annoy the user.  Twisted might come in really useful there.

Sounds good, I'll get the latest Twisted distribution now.  (That sentence
would look a lot weirder if the 'T' in Twisted wasn't captilized.)

> OTOH maybe using smtplib/poplib in a separate thread and communicating via
> Queue.Queue or whatever works well, too.
>
> But if you can avoid threads, that's a Good Thing [tm].

I assume you're referring to the global intepreter lock?

> While you're at it, http://sourceforge.net/projects/pythonms/ (Python Mail
> System - a framework for creating MUAs in Python) could also poffer some
> useful code.
>
> One other thing: you'll most likely want a threading algorithm. I started
> one once but AMK got got a stable one finished before me:
>
> http://www.amk.ca/python/code/jwz.html

Ok, thanks for the help!