Do pythons like sugar?

Andrew Bennetts andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org
Thu Jan 9 08:29:14 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 12:48:06PM +0000, Afanasiy wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 22:29:33 +1100, Andrew Bennetts
> <andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org> wrote:
>
> >What is good design for one language isn't necessarily good design for
> >another.  Python offers different features to, say, C++, and is best used in
> >different ways.  I would recommend that you try to understand the pythonic
> >world-view better, rather than insisting on imposing your preconceptions on
> >us... my experience agrees with Andrew Dalke's; explicit self is much better
> >than the alternatives.
>
> The design is simple and normal. Dalke's code in response to mine made
> changes which would break my design. My design for my project is right.
> It also just happens to be of a very traditional and common methodology.

It also just happens that your design is not of a common methodology for
Python code.  To my eyes, it looks needlessly complex, but it is hard to
tell without the surrounding context.

> >Not to mention that the code you have shown us doesn't give me any confidence
> >that your code is what you claim it to be.
>
> You cannot see what the rest of the class is doing or meant to do.

Indeed.  I am extrapolating based on what little information I have... if
you would show us the whole class, I could have a more informed opinion.
Until then, I will work with what data I have.

> >What is your situation?  You're refusing to say what it actually is, so it's
> >reasonable for people to refuse to try help you -- its hard to know what the
> >answer is if you won't tell us the question!
>
> It is not relevant. I just wanted to know about the possibility of
> implicit self. I suppose this is a sore spot. I'll look elsewhere,
> but will continue to react to people saying I am doing it wrong
> when all I was asking about what the possibility of implicit self.

The answer is "no, and you don't really need it".  The fact that you are
asking the question suggests that you don't fully appreciate the pythonic
way of doing things, hence the condescening replies you complain about in
another post.  That's not to say the idea is entirely without merit; but it
has been debated often in the past -- as a quick search through the archives
would show -- and the vast majority seem to be in agreement that it is a bad
idea.

-Andrew.