Novel Thoughts on Scripting and Languages

Alex K. Angelopoulos aka at mvps.org
Sat Jan 11 19:22:57 EST 2003

James,

Just a couple of corrections here - although let me start out by saying that
anytime another scripting language is available, it's a good thing.

--

"James Huang" <judoscript at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:52719db8.0301062130.5299a0ff at posting.google.com...
> Perl and Python programmers are all material witnesses
> of how scripting can greatly improve productivity. That's
> why scripting languages enjoy great success. Scripting
> means that we can issue OS commends from within a
> full-fledged programming language -- a scripting language.
>
> Have you ever thought about scripting more areas, such
> as SQL, XML, EJB, SGML, HTTP, E-mail and GUI, the way you
> script OS commands, all at once? Think about it!

I do all that with script.  My actual environment in usually Windows, and I tend
to use WSH; generally, it's VBScript, but when I can use Python I can actually
use the exact same techniques.  I can even use the Active Scripting tools to
call across from Python to VBScript and vice-versa.

> In Perl and Python, anything beyond OS-level scripting
> must be programmed through some kind of APIs.

That's not quite true. ;)

I can read and write XML, send commands via HTTP, retrieve pages and the text,
and handle email from script without touching a single API.  I can automate
Office applications on Windows.  I can parse code, do numerical analysis, etc -
and when I have components written in Python I can call them from anything else
on my PC.

> ...but Java is standing out.
> This is reality. A same Java API can be used by Java
> (a popular system language) and also scriptable by any
> Java-based scripting languages. You can't beat that.
>
> But Java does have limitations, since it is a common
> denominator of all platforms.
>
> The rule of thumb is, if your scripts make a lot of
> system calls, stay where you are; otherwise, Java is
> well worth investigating. If you do, then do it with
> the right tool -- JudoScript -- you won't regret it.

One other concern here.  There are serious problems with Windows users being
"orphaned" now that Sun has killed the native machine implementation Microsoft
had.  It DOES have 3-4 good years of life left in it, and possibly more if Sun
cleans up their Windows implementation (I'm speaking about relative performance
issues and resilience to breakage in use - that's been a historic problem for me
with the Sun version on  Windows PCs).  If JudoScript is independent of Java, or
if Sun gets rolling, this may not be a hindrance.

Good luck!