Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

Mitch Chapman mitchchapman at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 28 21:23:03 EST 2003

pu wrote:
> Is, or under which circumstances is the time which can be gained by using a
> RAD-IDE equivalent to the time gained by using Python directly?
>
> -Patrick

As others have noted, it depends on what you're doing.  If you're
building GUI apps in an environment where the APIs are cumbersome,
you're probably better off with an IDE to help generate the code /
UI.

But it doesn't have to be an exclusive choice between Python and
a RAD-IDE environment.  For example, Python For Delphi (P4D) lets
you use Delphi (or C++Builder) to construct your user interface,
define basic user interactions, etc.  while using Python for the bulk
of the application.

Where I work we've been using P4D for about a year and a half, with good
results.  P4D encourages a clean split between View/Controller and
Model code.  As a result, even though much of our core code was
developed specifically for our Windows-based applications, it also
runs on Linux.  It runs on MacOSX, too, but that's because OSX is
Unix.  (Ow.  My head hurts.)

That's not to say P4D is perfect.  Accessing Delphi services from
Python still requires a fair bit of bookkeeping code.

However, P4D's thorough exploitation of Delphi's (and C++Builder's)
variant type lets you manipulate Python objects from Object Pascal
(and C++) with almost no bookkeeping code or static type declarations.

Maybe it has to be experienced to be believed.  It's pretty awesome.

The Python For Delphi homepage:
	http://membres.lycos.fr/marat/delphi/python.htm

Some screenshots of stuff we've built using Python For Delphi:
	http://www.bioreason.com/classpharmer.php

--
Mitch