Copyright on the Python and Python-console icons?

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Thu Jan 16 10:26:38 EST 2003

[Erik Max Francis]
> Yes, and explicitly waiving copyright (or having it expire) and
> releasing works into the public domain is explicitly allowed for in
> copyright law.

That's just assertion.  Cite the law, if you can (it's easy to find the
stuff about expiration, and about works produced by the government; if
anything else about it were as clear, the scholarly work on the topic I
pointed you at wouldn't have been written).

>> The rest is from private communication with a Famous IP Lawyer during
>> Python's licensing struggles, and I don't have permission to repeat that
>> here.

> Uh huh, convenient.

Quite the contrary, it makes me appear to be bluffing.  I pointed you to
three starting places if you'd like to collect actual legal opinion instead
of "is not, is too, is not, is too" Usenet silliness, all of which you
indeed conveniently ignored in your response, in favor of raw assertion.

If you want some highly informed legal opinion to exercise your beliefs
against, engage Larry Rosen (OSI's legal counsel; I already gave you a link
to one accessible place he hangs out, and, IME, he's been happy to argue
this issue at any depth you can bear).