PEP 304 - Controlling generation of bytecode files

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Jan 28 00:26:08 EST 2003

It would please me to not see .pyc files sitting all over the place.
Really, it's not anal or anything -- I don't horribly mind them.  But I
know I would feel happier not seeing them, and I like feeling happy.
This would make possible that dream of a .pyc-less world.  I know I am a
happier person for having Emacs put its ~ backups into a separate
directory -- happiness through cleanliness is not just a fantasy!  And I
was just thinking about how I didn't like .pyc files two days ago...

Of course the .pyc files would start piling up, since I wouldn't be
deleting them with the normal files.

The PEP should be unambiguous about the search path.  In particular, say
/foo shows up in the search path before /bar, and I create a file
/foo/file.py, use it and decide it should go in /bar/file.py.  I likely
won't delete /pycfiles/foo/file.pyc, but it would be *horrible* if that
outdated file got imported.  I can easily imagine tearing my hair out
for some time if that happened and I didn't notice it.

Anyway, definite +1
   ... Ian Bicking, just some guy