Suggestion: UnixOptionParser class in optparse.py

Rich Harkins rharkins at thinkronize.com
Mon Jan 6 11:35:18 EST 2003

I love the OptionParser class.  Good stuff.  The only thing that I would
want different (right now anyway) would be a simple way to parse Unix
style options (first non-option argument terminates options).  My
proposal is to add a tiny subclass in optparse.py that would handle
this:

class UnixOptionParser(OptionParser):
	"""
	Parse options just like OptionParser except disallow
	interspersed options by default.
	"""

	def __init__(self,*args,**kw):
		OptionParser.__init__(self,*args,**kw)
		self.allow_interspersed_args=0

This would provide the best of both worlds IMO.  I can understand why
some users would like the interspersed args, but it makes it harder to
provide applications consistent with other Unix commands.  I would have
to wrap this separately to provide wrapper programs.  For example,

mydebugger [options] command args...

will fail if args contains any flags.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Rich