Seeking Minimal Python Project Name (was: [pypy-dev] Re: [ann] Minimal Python project)

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Tue Jan 14 21:01:06 EST 2003

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 00:50:13 +0100, rumours say that Christian Tismer
> <tismer at tismer.com> might have written:
>

>>David LeBlanc wrote:
>>
>>>Pyth.
>>
>>Sounds a bit like the winds after digesting Chili Con Carne :-)
>

> I can't find the start of the thread in my newsreader.  So, let me
> repeat the question before answering:
>
> Q: What should the name of the Minimal Python project be?
> A: What, apart from Monty, you mean?
>
> I thought it obvious... and probably I am not the only one.  Following
> suite with Jython and CPython, MPython seems appropriate at last :)

Sure it does, at least in the context of a "Minimal Python".
After all, this project turns out to be not *that* minimal
in the first place. It is of course aimed at the possibility
to downsize Python by removing whole classes of constructs.
But it also tries to be a full implementation of the existing
python, or even more than that.

Our final goal is to make Python self-contained, that means that
Python should implement itself, and it should no longer be
dependant of some C libraries, nor should its majority be
coded in C. The C part of this new Python will be put down
to the absolute minimum possible by a simple and portable
micro interpreter core. Everything else will be built on top of
this.
While this minimal interpretrer in C will be able to run on any
platform, this is only a matter of bootstrap and basic portability.
For every relevant platform, a real code generator will be developed,
which will hopefully create code that is comparably fast like the
C implementation. Furthermore, due to the dynamic techniques in
Psyco, we do hope to get it reasonably faster.

At least concerning our goals, this is not so much of a "Minimum" :-)

ciao - chris