XSL-FO? Python FOP?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jan 23 21:21:44 EST 2003

Jarek Zgoda wrote:

> Dnia Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:18:05 -0500 piszesz:
>
> >> Is there a XSL-FO library for Python yet (ie. like  Apache's FOP for
> >> Java)?
> >
> > There is definitely nothing anywhere near as advanced as FOP,
> > as I've been looking for it.
>
> You might want to take a closer look at ReportLab Toolkit. While this
> tool is not XML/XSL based, it provides roughly the same functionality.

Yes, I did mention ReportLab in my post that you quoted, down
near the bottom where it's hard to see...

Not supporting XML pretty much entirely defeats the purpose, for me,
but no doubt for others it will have lots of benefits.

I may get around to writing some kind of DocBook-to-ReportLab
tool at some point, but for now FOP is just barely adequate,
almost, sort of...  well, it's a hell of a lot less work
than writing a DocBook-to-ReportLab converter right now. ;-)

-Peter