Coding standard: Prefixing variables to indicate datatype

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Sat Jan 18 10:55:45 EST 2003

"Erik Max Francis" <max at alcyone.com> wrote in message
news:3E28D273.13497D3E at alcyone.com...
> Terry Reedy wrote:
>
> > Once you actually think about it, its obvious that attaching the join
> > method to the joiner is the only sensible place to put it.
> >
> > "Carpenter, exercise your ability to joins these pieces of wood."
>
> Agreed.  It may look weird at first, but it doesn't take long to realize
> as a method, that's the only place it can logically go.  After all, the
> alternative is having a join method be part of _every single sequence
> interface_, which is clearly heavy-handed.

Well, judgin by the number of times this topic comes up, and the vehement
and long-drawn out arguments it has spawned [with some proponents *refusing*
to admit the rationality of the way it's currently done even in the face of
reasonable and reasoned explanation form illuminati such as Alex Martelli)
it takes some people longer than others.

Despite the clear heavy-handedness of the alternative approach, not everyone
is persuaded.

> Furthermore, it's inherently a string-based operation, therefore the
> method should go on the string.  I personally find ','.join(S) extremely
> inuitive and readable.

Me too, but then we each knew the other was reasonable all along, right?

regards
Bring your musical instrument to PyCon!    http://www.python.org/pycon/