Scintilla / Scite tabs formatting mystery.

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 11 18:16:41 EST 2003

Dale Strickland-Clark:

> However, in spite of setting all style fonts to mono-spaced I can't
> get a tab to occupy the same width as 4 spaces. This means that text
> that lines up nicely in Scite is all to cock in other editors.
>
> I think I've set the tabs up right:
> # Indentation
> tabsize=4
> indent.size=4
> use.tabs=1

   They are the right settings.

> So that leaves the styles.
>
> This is the relevant extract from the Python.properties file:

   There is a global base style set in SciTEGlobal.properties called
style.*. For any style, style number 32 is the default style and is used to
calculate the width of a tab. Your problem is that you have style.*.32 and
hence style.python.32 set to the default Verdana 10 pt and want to have all
your text in the current monospace font, probably Courier New 10 pt. To set
the default Python style:

style.python.32=$(font.monospace)

   For a more global change, in the SciTEGlobal.properties file set

style.*.32=$(font.monospace)

   The whole scheme is a hierarchy that tries to allow fonts to be easily
changed globally but then be tweaked for particular styles.

   Why 32? Its historical and maybe spelling '32' as '*' would be more
sensible.

   Neil