Boa vs. PythonCard

Iwan van der Kleyn try_iwk at remov_try_vanderkleyn.com
Tue Jan 14 06:08:32 EST 2003

Thomas Guettler wrote:
> Up to now I mostly programmened commandline tools.
> But unfortunately you sometimes need GUIs.
> I looked around and found Boa and PythonCard. Can someone
> compare these two programms? How stable are they?

I posted a related question on this list a few days ago, unfortunately
without an answer. I've been testing Boa Constructor for a few days and
   consider it to be 'stable enough' for small(ler) programs. That is
the version straight from CVS, not one of the downloads on sourceforge.
Can't  give an opinion about really big projects, though. Boa
COnsutrctor is remarkable feature complete, has sparse but good enough
documentation and forms a complete IDE (including editor, CVS, debugger
etc). I made a demo consisting of a few windows with multiple widgets
and events and everything worked rather smoothly. The application
crashed on me once but by saving often that's tolerable to me. There are
still quirks and bugs but most will just show an exception in a window
and the application keeps on working. On Linux there seem to be more
glitches (open/save file dialog especially) but on Windows things worked
quite well. For me it  a 'killer app' beause it makes working with
wxPython so much easier so I decided to do my future work with Python on
it. It may not be really 'production ready' but the advantages of using
it far outweigh a crash or two.

I've tested Pythoncard a bit. Seems promising but it is far from usable
for real production work as yet.

Regards,

Iwan