BDE mit Python?

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Tue Jan 28 17:32:21 EST 2003

holger krekel <pyth at devel.trillke.net> wrote previously:
|French?

I chuckled at the remark... so an explanation for our non-American
readers (I'm not sure if the idiom exists in Brit, Oz, Ziwi, Indian,
etc. variants, maybe so).

Saying "pardon my french" is a silly way of apologize for swearing, or
saying something otherwise inappropriate.  My own notion is probably
apocryphal, but I imagined the origin to connect to Mark Twain's running
gag in (I think) _Tom Sawyer_ that if the characters couldn't understand
what someone was saying, it must be French (i.e. foreign
language=french).  I'm not sure if the assumption was that New Orleander
(who speak french or creole) would swear particularly much, or merely
that swearing was somehow a "different" way of speaking.

--
 mertz@   _/_/_/_/_/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY:_/_/_/_/ v i
gnosis  _/_/                    Postmodern Enterprises         _/_/  s r