HOWTO : Py_CompileString !?!?!

Luc acid_til at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 30 09:54:56 EST 2003

Jp Calderone wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 02:43:38PM -0500, Luc wrote:
>
>>Hello fellow python user :)
>>
>>I'm quite new to this so please be kind to my newbie question !!!
>>
>>I'm trying to embed python in my C++ application. I have a python source
>>file names test.py and what I want to do is first try to compile it to
>>see if any syntax error or import error occurs.  I tried to use
>>Py_CompileString but it seems not to work. I added a syntax error and it
>>still report no error. Now I just thought that because it's interpreted,
>>does it mean that the error is caught until the script is actually run
>>??? If so, is there any method that I could use to detect such error
>>without resorting to running the script ???
>>

>   It's impossible to say what's going wrong without seeing at least a
> minimal sample of your code.  Can you post the shortest snippet possible
> that completely duplicates the behavior you believe to be incorrect?  If so,
> we can look at it and point out in particular where your expectations don't
> coincide with the actual behavior.
>
>   Jp

Of course,

Here is the script in question :

import FOMath
#FOMath has a method called PointValue()
def test():
	print FOMath.PointdddValue()

test()

This should't compile because a syntax error is present...

The way I compile the code from C++ is done like so :

//str contains the file that just loaded...
Py_CompileString((char*)str.c_str(), "<test.py>", Py_file_input);

That's it. It's the way I tought was proper. Might be wrong, that's why
I posted in this group :)

Cheers, Luc.