ActivePython on Windows: References Question

Alex K. Angelopoulos aka at mvps.org
Tue Jan 14 18:08:22 EST 2003

Thanks for all the info.  I have some notes below, inline.

<eltronic at juno.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:19:12 -0500 "Alex K. Angelopoulos" <aka at mvps.org>

> the script engine is not installed by default and
> there is some incomplete and or out of date docs...

> ...unfortunately most of the scripts in the demo dir don't work for me.

I've noticed issues with many Python scripts not working when run from
wscript/cscript, and part of it does seem to be core engine implementation.

I suspect the major problem is the lack of a lot of interest in this hosting
model.  If the Python core was much more widely distributed as an Active
Scripting engine, it would make sense, but in my experience most Windows users
who install Python actually use the entire language natively - you get access to
a lot of fully-wrapped functionality that way.

> Mark Hammond seems to be the single source for all the win32 extensions

he also is the author of one of the few other Active Scripting engines available
in source form, a "Forthish" example available for download from MSKB.

> example of scripting outloook
> http://www.boddie.org.uk/python/COM.html

The problem with Python COM examples is that even the ones which claim to be
"WSH examples",  is that they usually aren't.  They are usually demos of
accessing COM objects installed _with_ WSH, but hosted by Python itself.

This is fine for the usual role of native use, but can produce problems when
used as examples for someone working from WSH-hosted Python.