new years resolutions

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jan 2 22:22:42 EST 2003

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> eltronic at juno.com fed this fish to the penguins on Thursday 02 January
> 2003 03:34 pm:
>

> > HTML is a programming language, why else would I have to debug it?
> >
>         Then news posts and email are programming languages too, as I have to
> debug (spell-check) them <G>

I see the grin, but note that this is exactly why those
are *not* programming languages, while HTML definitely is.
If you write the wrong HTML, the computer does not do what it is
supposed to do, while if you put the wrong content in your email
or news post, only humans mind.

Telling a computer (even a mechanical one) what to do is programming,
pure and simple.

-Peter