float / double support in Python?

Brandon Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Tue Feb 11 20:47:11 EST 2003

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> What I was trying to point out with my direct translation of your
> statement
> is that there are various different perspectives. Your perspective is
> one
> of a low-level worrier. You have to if you want to write optimized 3d
> engines. I start worrying more low-level if I work on XML databases
> too.
> But what python is frequently used for are domains where such
> worrying is
> not very productive, and actually counterproductive as it costs time
> and
> is not very useful in the problem domain.

Points taken.  But my point is, the leaner Python is, the closer you can get
to low level before having to switch over.  Ergo, it makes sense to support
all basic machine types.

> The negative tradeoff is
> that writing solid C++ time costs more time than writing solid code
> in some other languages, like Python.

Unless it is indeed a rather low level problem.  In which case, Python's
higher level constructs are actually a hindrance and you'd start coding in
C++.

> Many people here advocate a mixed-language
> approach trying to gain the benefits of both languages.

We are arguing about the transition point between the languages.  I am
saying, Python could do more if it implemented all basic machine types.

>> I don't believe the drill should have to be "experiment and
>> reimplement."  I would like the option to "experiment, then leave it
>> alone if it works."  I can certainly leave the C++ alone.  But I'm
>> limited as to how much experimentation I can do.
>
> Hm, I always find that when experimenting I get new ideas which
> profoundly influence the implementation.

I do the thought experiments on paper.  I don't care to sit in front of the
screen more than I need to.

> Please give it
> a chance and forget this is group is not moderated? It is sad to give
> up on a group before you give it a good chance.

I haven't given up on the group.  I haven't killfiled anybody since the
opening barrage.  I don't mind if people yak at me about their point of view
and get testy.  I do mind if it becomes personal, or try to dismiss me as a
troll.

> By the way, I, like many people, actually appreciate talking to
> people with
> a working mind that actually care about the way they interact with
> other people. I care less about interacting with someone who claims
> they don't
> care about actually thinking for themselves or being polite to others.

To each their own.  My habits fit into my ecology of action, not yours.  I
will afford the risk of turning you or others off.  My experience on Usenet
has always been that most reasonable people don't make a big deal out of
strongly stated opinions, they don't hold it against you.  And indeed, they
aren't the source of the friction.  It's your adversaries that make a big
stink about things.  Also, some people just think everyone should be gentle
all the time, so anything rough irks them.  I don't try to please people
like that, it's too much of a cramp on my personal style.  I feel that a
pointed debating culture is healthy for people.

20% of the world is real.