PEP 308: A PEP Writer's Experience - PRO

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Feb 12 19:34:43 EST 2003

David Eppstein wrote:

> Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:
>
> > I cannot recall every seeing
> >
> >       if (something ? this : that) ...
> >
> > in either C or C++ code
>
> I couldn't recall seing that either, but then I looked through some
> very
> old C++ code of mine and found a couple instances.  I had a hard time
> deciphering them, and one of them looked possibly buggy.  So it's not
> something I would advocate doing now, but they do exist.

In the portion you clipped, I acknowledged that I'm sure that that
syntax is used _occasionally_, my point was just that it is so rare as
to be totally irrelevant, especially given that the guy I was pointing
that out to was someone who favored frequency-based arguments for
rejecting a conditional operator.

/  \ If you can't fight and you can't flee, flow.
\__/ Robert Elliot
    Physics reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/physics/
 A physics reference.