PEP-308 a "simplicity-first" alternative

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Feb 11 21:56:40 EST 2003

Paul Rubin wrote:

> I don't remember ever seeing "then" as a variable name in any real
> program, ...

Indeed.  I myself have specifically _avoided_ it in my Python code
precisely because it _looks_ like a keyword.

> ... but if a keyword is so objectionable and ? is too C-like,
> then another symbol (I favor "=>") can be used: C => x else y.

I tend to eschew combinations of punctuation and a keyword, but this has
already been suggested in the form C -> x else y.  -> seems superior to
me than =>, simply because => could more easily be confused with >= at
first glance.

/  \ Do not seek death.  Death will find you.
\__/ Dag Hammarskjold
    Esperanto reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/lang/esperanto/
 An Esperanto reference for English speakers.