Outlook Express and COM

Alex K. Angelopoulos aka at mvps.org
Fri Feb 14 14:05:10 EST 2003

In news:mailman.1043202040.26582.python-list at python.org, Tim Peters typed:

> AFAIK, OE has no programming interface at all, neither COM nor anything
> else (unlike big brother Outlook, which has several programming
> interfaces -- some of which even appear to work, sometimes <0.9 wink>).

They all work.  There is substantial mystery about HOW to make that occur, of
course... ;)

> Python's email package parses raw 822 quite nicely.  Extracting them from
> DBX files is said to be easy, although I haven't tried that myself
> (google).

This is a "used-to-be" story, unfortunately - there are some twists to the newer
DBX files in OE6 which no one has bothered figuring out yet.  I don't know how
long that state of affairs will persist; from looking at some postings in OE
newsgroups, people who support it hate the internals, and some of the developers
who may have 'inherited' OE feel the same way.

But bottom line with OE6 DBX files is it will take some hefty investigation at
this point - still best done via Google.