Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

Brandon Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Sun Feb 2 02:38:02 EST 2003

Andy Freeman wrote:
> "Brandon Van Every" <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com> wrote in message
> news:<gID_9.887$ek4.89394 at newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
>> Lisp sounds like a bad fit to my current problems.  I'm dealing with
>> simple geometric relationships, not complicated ones.
>
> Then what is taking you so long?

(1) Designing the mathematical APIs so that the primitives are very easy to
understand.  (2) My knowledge of certain geometric methods, for instance
finding Barycentric coordinates on spherical triangles, is limited.  I have
to put a lot of design time into figuring things out.  (3) My code is
portable, designed to be agnostic with respect to 3D APIs.  So I've spent a
lot of time abstracting DirectX out of existence.

> Or, if you had a lot of simple relationships that were slightly different
> from one another, both Python and Lisp[1] would let you exploit that
> similarity without being forced to keep things as C++ simple as possible.

You have a profoundly different engineering philosophy.  You seem to think
up-front flexibility is Good.  I think it is Bad.

20% of the world is real.