Python's 8-bit cleanness deprecated?

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Sun Feb 9 01:17:41 EST 2003

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, Jeff Epler wrote:

>On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 10:49:19PM +0300, Roman Suzi wrote:
>>

>> I've made some summary again (please correct me if I misunderstood):
>
>Roman,
>I'm "pro".  I write ASCII but I believe utf-8 is the way of the future. (my
>editor supports it .. my web browser supports it .. my terminal app
>supports it..) How else can I display all the world's texts?

You are lucky, Jeff. Please, note that I am not against encoding-cookie! I am
against _obligatory_ encoding specification. That is, if Python interpreter
doesn't find any cookie, it should run in compatibility mode and shouldn't
issue any warnings. It's NOT a technical problem. It's social one. You can't
force thousands of non-ASCII Python developers to switch to this novel way,
and millions of Python scripts which are perfectly working will need to be
changed!

Making latin-1 default encoding (in no cookie found) will probably solve the
problem. (I am waiting for some Japan, Korean or China developers to answer if
this is suitable for them.). It's a simplest cure. Kirill Simonov proposed
more advanced solution.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
rnd at onego.ru =\= My AI powered by Linux RedHat 7.3