PEP 308: Alternative conditional operator forms

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Feb 10 20:06:56 EST 2003

Peter Hansen wrote:

> I would think you could consider Erik's efforts to be focusing on
> the secondary question of "how to do it", just for that potential
> 20% (which is likely larger, but that's another story) who do want
> the ternary operator.

Indeed.  Even if the PEP is rejected before we get to the selected
phase, the information will still be useful.

> Don't stop someone who already knows he wants it from putting
> together a list that will help likeminded people agree on the
> preferred syntax for that operator.

My thinking as well.  Real derision on which syntax should be chosen
would likely queer the deal if it actually got as far as Guido saying,
"Okay, I give in, we'll add a conditional operator, now what should it
look like?" and the pro-308 community falls to pieces.

I'm just trying to prepare a list so that if it gets that far we have
something to talk about.  Indeed, even if the PEP fails _before_ it gets
to that point, it would be instructive to have the list of proposed
syntaxes in the PEP itself so that future people who want it will have a
basis to comment on.  (Not that rejecting the PEP will stop the
frequently asked questions about conditional operators.)

/  \ Whoever contends with the great sheds his own blood.
\__/ Sa'di
    Polly Wanna Cracka? / http://www.pollywannacracka.com/
 The Internet resource for interracial relationships.