declaration of variables?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 17 09:17:22 EST 2003

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Catching typos is also perfectly worth doing.   See for example the
> "use strict" feature in perl.

If you prefer Perl, you're perfectly welcome to move to it.  Meanwhile,
I'd rather keep using Python, if you don't mind.  And if you really
think making the language hairier is a good price to pay to catch SOME
typos 20 seconds earlier (since 20 seconds later, the unit tests would
catch them anyway, of course), then why have operators so close and
easily confusable as + and - for example?  Let's rename them to
ADD(AND-I-REALLY-*DO*-MEAN-ADD-I-SWEAR-SO-HELP-ME...!!!) and
SUBTRACT(AND-I-REALLY-*DO*-MEAN-SUBTRACT-I-SWEAR-SO-HELP-ME...!!!) so
we can _truly_ start catching some likely typos, hm?

Alex