Kyler Laird Kyler at Lairds.com
Wed Feb 12 12:17:56 EST 2003

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 11:09:00AM +0100, M. M?ller-Oertel wrote:

> > Perhaps even add an appropriate flag.
>
> Flags are nice to look at, but they represent nations. We shouldn't misuse
> them to represent languages, even if everyone else does.

Ha!  Yes, I was trying to placate others with that comment.
I certainly am not a big advocate of using more images -
especially inappropriate ones.

I still think that for some languages, an appropriate flag
could be determined.  The only languages I've studied
(English, French, Spanish) seem to map cleanly to countries
of origin.  (I'm now waiting for someone to give me a great
story of how French really originated in ...)

> As I pointed out
> yesterday (local time :-) in another thread there often is a many-to-many
> relationship between languages and nations.

Being in California these days, I'm all too aware of that.

Thank you for your thoughtful efforts on this project.

--kyler