Simple TCP Server || Daemonize || Continuous

Andrew Bennetts andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org
Tue Feb 4 06:34:08 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 03:11:40AM -0800, Erik Max Francis wrote:
> Andrew Bennetts wrote:
>
> > The easiest way, in my opinion, is to let a library like Twisted do it
> > for
> > you.
>
> You're kidding, right?  He has the application, he just wants to
> daemonize it.  Are you really suggesting that switching to an entirely
> separate networking framework is really the best approach, rather than
> simply calling a daemonize() function such as those in the provided
> recipes?

If he has already written an application, then yes, porting it to the
Twisted framework is probably more effort than it's worth.  The original
message didn't suggest this to me.  Simply using a cookbook daemonise recipe
and the simple TCP server recipe they posted won't solve all everything
though; what if they want to serve multiple concurrent connections?  In this
case, judging from later posts, it appears that good ol' inetd(8) is the
best solution for them.

Otherwise, I stand by my advice that Twisted is the best thing since sliced
bread <wink>.

-Andrew.