Python Type 4 (drivers)

Rene Pijlman reageer.in at de.nieuwsgroep
Tue Feb 18 12:59:21 EST 2003

Greg Brondo:
[looking for pure Python DB-API implementations]
>Yes.  But in python native code (no c extensions -- Just like Type 4
>drivers work in Java).  The initial driver would be for MySQL.  MY
>reasoning here is I'd trade some performance for even greater portability.

Well, it appears there is someone who has looked at it:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pymysql/. But this project
doesn't appears to be very active.

I think the main issue is going to be compatibility with new
versions of the backend when the c/s protocol changes. A type 4
driver should be part of the database codebase and distribution,
unless the c/s protocol is frozen and well documented.

--
René Pijlman

Wat wil jij leren?  http://www.leren.nl