Tutorial/Review link to c.l.p

Ron Stephens rdsteph at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 8 19:10:30 EST 2003

Greetings, Pedro. I am a novice, beginning programmer who has been
experimenting with Python for about two years now. I am not a refugee
from anotherr language at all, although I did do a little programming in
various languages 25 years ago in university. By and large though, I am
a true beginner.

You might want to take a look at my web page where I have sort of
documented my exploration from a beginners's point of view, taking a
look at gui toolkits from that point of view as well. The site is at
http://www.awaretek.com/plf.html

My experience is that Python is a good language for true beginners. I
had made abortive attempts to start learning to program in both Java and
Perl  but those atttempts never took off. After I began playing with
Python, I never looked back. I am still not a true *programmer* but I do
have as much fun with programming as a hobby as possible. If I had the
time to really dedicate myself to learning to program in Python, I
believe it would be a good choice of language and I would be successful.

I suspect that VB with its forms for creating simple gui user input
pages woud be easier in some ways, but having programmed in basic in
college and briefly trying VB in one of its early incarnations, I think
Python is much more likely to inspire a novice to become truly in love
with programming than VB ever could. VB is more for customizing simple
interactions with Windows computers; Python is a true programming
language one can learn to love. At least that's my point of view. ;-)))