Moving Language Cuisinart project to Windows?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Tue Feb 11 17:15:19 EST 2003

In article <x7d6lylduv.fsf at guru.mired.org>, Mike Meyer  <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
>I've written a Python wrapper for some Legacy FORTRAN so it can have a
>modern GUI buith with Pmw/Tkinter. This works by the FORTRAN invoking
>C functions that invoke Python. This all works like a charm using the
>gcc tools on Unix and Python 2.2.
>
>Now the client wants it on Windows. My question is - what's the right
>toolset for this? Is building Python 2.2 and Tk/Tcl on with the cygnus
>toolset possible? Or would I be better off getting compilers for
>Windows, and which ones?
			.
			.
			.
I want to ask you questions first.  You say Python wraps
FORTRAN, but you've got FORTRAN invoking Python (by way of
C)?  You're using Python as a library for Fortran?  Frankly,
I'm impressed; not many people find it "works like a charm"
to resolve all the linkage, initialization and installation
issues involved.

What's generally easiest is to have a conventional Python
process, one which either invokes Fortran through popen()
or a descendant, or perhaps uses a more general IPC.  'Sure
you don't want to do that?  It's frankly a more manageably
portable architecture.

Failing that, you can find people who both like and dislike
Cygnus.  My own first thought would be to use a Windows
compiler, but folks have made every combination work, so
the choice will end up being yours.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net