Perl Vs Python, Associative arrays, regex, and other considerations.

John Smith someone at microsoft.com
Wed Feb 26 14:26:06 EST 2003

David:
   this is good stuff. Knowing neither language I was trying to learn one or
the other, rather than both.
I do not know what are associatives arrays, (can guess though), and will
look it up.
I also wish to get some feedback on things like:

Speed
Code size,   Interpreter size.
Cleanless  (I have heard Python to have an advantage there).
Ability to compile, and/or encapsulate the interpreter, in order to have an
executable, on most platforms.
    Real (easy) Portability is a big thing in my view.
Interfacing with other languages and GUI,s
Tools: debuggers. A friend told me ddd for Perl is great. How would be
Python?
Ease of leaning (this may be subjective.. transfert of existing knowledge,
like C or ...).
Thanks for the answer.

news:9f77a.33$7g4.9683 at news-west.eli.net...