Is Python overhyped (just like Java)?

Nagy László Zsolt nagylzs at freemail.hu
Fri Feb 28 16:57:59 EST 2003

> Can some-one please explain why one would want to use Python? What is
> wrong with C++?
>
> In my opinion, the problem with C++ has nothing to with the language
> semantics.  The problem is that when people are confronted with a
> powerful language like C++, they tend to want to optimize everything
> to death.  That's when they get themselves in trouble.
>
> Those who use Python know they are sacrificing a lot in terms of
> memory and speed.  But if they took the same attitude toward C++, they
> can actually get a lot of flexibility, code reuse, simplicity, and all
> the other benefits of OO programming at over half the cost of using
> Python!  The problem is that people who don't understand C++, are
> afraid to use the 'virtual' features of that language because it's
> 'too expensive'.  But that's stupid...because Python's 'virtualness'
> is even more expensive!
>
> Nope...I'm not trolling...I want someone to give a solid and
> intelligent argument about why I should switch from C++ to Python!

You don't need to procure an argument. The choice is yours and it
depends on your problem.
You can compare C++ and Python when you have concrete problem.
Python is not 'The Universal Language'. Although it is close to it. ;-)
There are cases when C++ is better so there is no universal argument.

Of course you cannot see people complaining about how easy is Python
because it is not a problem. They will complain about speed. Alike, you
won't find people complaining  about how speedy is C++. Try to see their
benefits, not their drawbacks.

BTW, I'm using both of them and I think Python is more handy for me. :-)

  Laci 1.0